New Pickering Town Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Staveley MW

Go down

Staveley MW Empty Staveley MW

Post  Antony Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:13 am

A thoroughly disciplined performance from all resulted in a well deserved victory and the only disappointing factor was that we did not improve our goal difference. The scoreline suggests that it was a narrow victory however but for some indifferent finishing, the woodwork and the agility of the home keeper we could have had a much more comfortable final 20 minutes or so after we made the breakthrough.

I suspect we may well have caught Staveley at a good time coming off the back of their FA Vase semi final exit last week as they did appear a bit flat and apart from a few corners and a bit off pressure towards the end, that was about all they managed to offer. On the other hand perhaps it's the sign of the improvement that we have made since the new management team took over. The respect that their manager offered us in the programme notes suggested that they were more than wary of us and his comments proved justified as we now defend well, compete in midfield and offer a potent threat up front, we are definitely a match for everyone at this level.

I think it is fair to say that we owed them one after the morale sapping encounters earlier in the season and I doubt that even the most ardent Staveley follower couldn't argue that our performance entitled us to come away with the maximum haul.

Their keeper offered entertainment throughout exchanging banter with our supporters, he did keep them in the game though with two fantastic saves from Carl Stewart both curling/dipping in the top corner from outside the box. He reminded me of the pie eating stopper that served Long Eaton for a few seasons, both vocal and very talented.

All in all a very enjoyable day out (with 150 plus groundhoppers in the crowd of 270) at a ground that shows much development each time we visit, it's very clear to see the ambition that lies within.

Antony

Back to top Go down